The wide-ranging changes in the communication services business brought about by market changes, and the technology changes with virtualization and 5G will touch every aspect of the business, including a wholesale change to agile DevOps style operations supported by a completely reimagined OSS and BSS. TM Forum is at the forefront of developing common solutions to the challenge of enabling a business to thrive in this new environment and monetize the opportunity of the new technology.
The digital service industry has moved beyond the point of planning for transformation and is now taking the first steps on the journey. Although different businesses are following different paths, for CSPs at least, it is clear that deployment of virtualized and software defined network technology is well underway driven by the market imperative to drive up operational efficiency and lower ‘cost per bit’. They must now start to maximize the benefits of this technology, over and above simple substitution of existing functionality. This means that the focus is on assets that can be used in the design and realization of processes and systems, and enable the procurement, deployment and operation of them as part of a profitable business. In 2017, we released the first complete blueprint for an automated hybrid management platform that enables virtualized infrastructure to begin to unlock its potential, and we will be rapidly building new capabilities into that framework which also supports the network as a service initiative.
Areas of focus at Action Week:
- Zero touch Automation for customer and product facing management services, operations services for managing onboarding and virtualization; and enterprise needs such as security and financial controls.
- Developing commercial operational and technical onboarding automation capabilities by capturing implementation artifacts to cover, licensing, operation management and metrics, linking of DevOps, engineering change management and continuous integration systems of Buyer and Seller.
- Primary network focus is on defining and developing Network as a Service Package to facilitate SP transformation and automation that remove tight coupling between product and network resources which is impeding business agility. Leverages Hybrid Network Platform work where relevant.
- Continuing our work on a reference platform for Hybrid Network Management and extending it to support Customer, Service, Networks automation, Onboarding and management of virtualization, and enterprises management. Expanding beyond the MVP solution released in 17.0 to further unlock the potential of Cloud native and virtualized infrastructure.
- Extending the existing work on Orchestration to include policy driven automation.
- Developing requirements for APIs for extending the management of Hybrid Networks including NaaS into more complex use cases.
- Extending the existing work on the adoption of DevOps to include development of practical guides and checklists for real world transformation.
- Continuing development of common information model elements between SDOs including MEF ONF and Oasis TOSCA.
- Defining and promoting Catalyst projects supporting the ZOOM objectives.
- Further exploring the practical use of open source in real deployments.